Monday 5 August 2013

Yalikavak Calling.

July time exactly one month ago now and the holiday could commence.

In July myself and my boyfriend went on our first holiday together to the coastal town of Yalikavack in Turkey just out of Bodrum to the Delta Beach Resort. A day that just didn't start nor end very well. I was woken up early by my mother to the news that my uncle had sadly passed away the previous night. Of course i was shaken up but had to just take my mind of it. However supportive my boyfriend was it was the start of a bad day. I'd been excited for months for this day to come and it was finally here. I know it's nothing major but i fell up the stairs and broke my acrylic nail in half so i rushed into town to get it fixed- a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. Then we finally set off all systems ready remembered absolute everything and thennnnnn BOOM were in luck, put onto an earlier flight great we thought. However, this flight had no inflight meal, and the transfers at the other end didn't realise we were transferred so once there we had to wait 3/4 hours in the early hours of the morning. Once we finally arrived to our resort after and another hour transfer we realised we had the wrong room!... A day i don't think i'd ever forget.

However, the time we spent there was lovely, so relaxing, so exciting to be in a different country.
The culture completely different as well as lifestyle. Tradition i can definitely say was still as raw as anything. Womenswear was the same in certain generation. Religion i think determined some peoples dress sense. Turkish people are so kind and welcoming BUT the turkish markets it can become overpowering. In previous years i'd gone to the open market in Yalikavack but this year we ventured out to Turgutreis market a 40 minuet drive. Full on, over the top, in your face and bargains would be words and phrases to describe our 30 minuet quick shop in their.
'Cheaper than Primark' Cheaper than Asda, would be some of the phrases we would here to get us into the open air stalls.
Turkey is all about the good knock off fakes. From fake Louis Vuttons to fake Micheal Kors there were bags upon bags t-shirts upon t-shirts, Calvin Kleins falling into mens hands. AT ridiculous prices! Bartering was the key skill you needed over there and taught by  my auntie over the years i managed to get a half decent fake bag for 60lira reduced from 260. I was proud.

Evening entertainment on the Last evening was the most enjoyable. Watching my boyfriend dance up on stage attempting to belly dance was a sight id never forget. Karma hit me when i was dragged up on stage to take part in traditional Turkish Folk dance. My days.

Overall a fantastic Holiday One i'll never forget.
Holiday Snap

No comments:

Post a Comment